Sunday, February 26, 2012

Week #6: Russia

Доброе утро! [DO-bray OO-tra] (Good morning!)

This week, we're traveling 5,800 miles northeast to Russia! Because Russia sits so far to the north and endures very long, cold winters, most meals there are designed to boost energy. That translates to dishes that are high in carbohydrates and fat but low in protein. 
Matryoshka (nesting doll)

One of my favorite restaurant meals growing up was Chicken Kiev, a chicken breast pounded thin, sometimes breaded, and wrapped around a knob of cold, herbed garlic butter. It's so simple, yet truly decadent! That won't be one of my "official" Russian recipes for the week, but I might have to make it anyway. Sometime soon, for sure...

Two of the most popular dishes in Russia are pirozhki and pelmeni, and I'll be preparing both this week. Much to my delight, meatloaf mix is on sale this week at Price Chopper and both recipes call for it. How fortunate! 

I actually have another busy week on the docket, so I'm making the pirozhki today! They are small, baked bread rolls stuffed with various fillings, both sweet and savory. Both my versions will be savory, and the recipe makes a ton of them, so I'll be taking a bunch to work tomorrow for sure. 

Pelmeni are meat-filled ravioli, so I'm going to tackle homemade pasta for the first time! That will probably happen later in the week, most likely Friday or Saturday.

We had some salmon the freezer, so for my third meal I found a wonderful recipe that layers fish, veggies, rice and more inside pastry dough. In a way, it sounds to me like Russia's version of stromboli or garbage bread! But, I have something special in mind for this dish to make it even more elegant. So, stay tuned.

It's bound to be a fascinating journey, and I'm honored you'll be joining me.

За здоровье! [za zda-ROV-ye] (To health!)

No comments:

Post a Comment