Sunday, January 29, 2012

Week #2: Republic of the Sudan

Full disclosure: I actually selected this week's country last Wednesday. I was showing my co-worker the SpinGlobe iPhone app and this is where my first tap landed. Given the recent strife in the Darfur region of Sudan and in many neighboring African nations, I welcome to chance to highlight an aspect of the country which everyone can enjoy.

Searching for Sudanese recipes only added to my enthusiasm. So many interesting dishes to try! I found a recipe for fuul in a World Community Cookbook I own called "Extending the Table: Recipes and Stories from Argentina to Zambia in the spirit of More-with-Less" that I bought a couple years back at our local Ten Thousand Villages shop. Fuul, the national dish of Sudan, is essentially a savory bean dip that's eaten as a main course and scooped from bowls with fingers or tamia (chickpea cakes) - I'll definitely be making both.

So, without having to shell out the price of airfare, I'm going to jet about 6,000 miles due west from Barbados to Sudan. I do hope you'll join me.

4 comments:

  1. In college, I once wrote a 50 page paper on the food of Sudan, so I am particularly excited for this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kelly! You two wanna come over for dinner?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had our Sudani meal tonight. Fuul, Goraasa, Beetroot Salata and Goraasa be Semna. Thanks for nudging us across the Atlantic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant! Hope you enjoy our next stop, too - stay tuned, it'll be announced tomorrow!

      Delete