Monday, June 4, 2012

Vegetarian Chili

Turns out I was able to cook tonight, after all! And it's a gray, rainy day here in the northeast, so I decided to brew up a batch of Algerian Chili.

As usual, I took a couple short cuts and made some substitutions, so I could use items already in my pantry. But, no worries - it still tastes incredible!

I used less oil overall and mixed some chipotle oil with extra virgin olive oil for a little more heat. I ran out of fresh herbs, so I substituted dried. I used Goya small white beans instead of dried navy beans, and I opted for a can of fire roasted tomatoes instead of a couple large fresh ones.

I ended up with a smoky, spicy chili that makes a hearty vegetarian meal - served over couscous, of course. And, I opted for a spoon. Here's how I made it:

A few Tbsp olive and chipotle oil
1 large onion, diced
10 cloves garlic, minced
2 cherry peppers, minced
1 Tbsp smoked paprika
4 tsp ground cumin
1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
1 can (14.5 oz.) fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 box (32 oz.) vegetable broth
2 cans (15.5 oz each) small white beans
2 bay leaves
1 tsp coriander seed
Pinch of ground cayenne pepper
Salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
2 tsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp dried cilantro

In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Saute the onions till browned. Add the garlic, peppers, paprika and cumin, and cook for a couple minutes. Next, add the tomato paste and cook for another couple minutes till it thickens. Stir in the tomatoes and about a cup of the broth, and bring to a boil. Then, add the beans, remaining broth, bay, coriander, cayenne, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer with cover ajar for 30 minutes. Check the seasonings, stir in a splash of red wine vinegar and the cilantro, and serve over prepared couscous.

3 comments:

  1. Yum. On my list for next week's dinner menu. I imagine the bulgar I'm trying to use up could replace the couscous, albeit not authentic Algerian. Not sure I've seen fire roasted diced tomatoes before, but I'll check around. Sounds like they're key to the "smokey" flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smoked paprika, smoked salt and even Liquid Smoke would help, too, if you can't find the tomatoes. But, we see them all the time in the regular grocery stores. I think we used Hunt's brand... Delish! :)

      Delete
  2. Found the roasted tomatos. Thanks. I always have a supply of Mesquite and Hickory Liquid Smoke in the pantry. Great shortcuts and only a dollar a bottle!

    ReplyDelete