Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Roast Lamb (x2)

My version, with a minted crust.
Since it was Easter just over a week ago, lamb roasts were plentiful - and nicely priced - in the grocery stores. We got a 3.3-pound Australian bone-in shank roast for $20, a decent price. And, the way my house smells right now, that alone makes it worth every penny! Luckily, it's also supremely delicious.

Me Mum, Wendy, is an English ex-pat who grew up in Fiji and New Zealand, before meeting my father and moving to America to settle here with him, and she's made many many succulent lamb roasts over the years, which were always served with her mint sauce. A sinfully sweet, tangy concoction made with fresh mint, vinegar and sugar, I always piled it on the meat - often in place of gravy, which was left for the roasted potatoes. I knew I had to use this recipe, once I saw that it was crusted with minty goodness.

Cate's version, with garlic and rosemary.
I skipped the potatoes this time around, and opted instead for a couple vegetables. But, no worries, Cate-Mate had potatoes with her lamb. That's right, all this week, my dear Aussie friend and housemate during my semester abroad in 1992, will be preparing her versions of my chosen meals! In her Canberra kitchen on the other side of the world, she too made a roast lamb. For her version, she cuts slits in the roast and inserted garlic cloves and sprigs of fresh rosemary. Doesn't it look delicious?!

Make sure you check back tomorrow for our next collaboration. Meantime, here's how I made my roast:

3 lb. Australian lamb roast
3 Tbsp breadcrumbs (I used a mix of regular and panko)
3 Tbsp Wendy's mint sauce*
1 Tbsp fresh parsley, finely minced
1 garlic clove, finely minced
Salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste

Mix the topping ingredients in a small bowl. In a preheated 350° oven, cook your roast (uncovered) for about 60-90 minutes, depending upon your "doneness" preferences. Then, using a spatula, cover the roast with the mint mixture, pressing it firmly onto the top of the meat. Baste it with the pan juices. Return the roast to the oven and cook for another 20 minutes till the crust is golden brown. Be sure to let the meat rest for about 15 minutes before carving, so the juices have time to settle and don't run out.

* To make the mint sauce, finely mince about a cup of fresh mint leaves. In a small saucepan, heat 2 Tbsp vinegar (I used cider vinegar) and 2 Tbsp sugar till the sugar dissolves completely. Allow to cool before adding it slowly to the mint leaves in a small bowl. Add the vinegar syrup slowly so that the sauce doesn't become too loose. You want the mint to absorb the liquid without being runny. For me, these measurements worked perfectly and I didn't have any leftover syrup. If you want to make a larger batch so you have extra, the sauce will keep almost indefinitely in the refrigerator in a screw top or mason jar.

No comments:

Post a Comment