Sunday, April 15, 2012

Week #13: Australia

Photo: kids.britannica.com
I'm completely stoked about this week's destination! I've traveled to Oz twice, and I'm horrified to realize my last trip there was back in 1999! It's taking me far too long to get back...
If you're considering a trip down under, don't hesitate, just go -- it is SO worth the effort to get there. It's a spectacular country full of fascinating wildlife, dazzling landscapes and phenomenal people.

But, you're probably thinking: What about the food? Right?! Well, I'm not sure how much "bush tucker" I'll be able to find in the greater Capital region. That's the colloquial term for the diet of  local flora/fauna developed by the Australian Aborigines, the country's indigenous people who have lived there for as long as 60,000 years. I might be able to track down some kangaroo meat from the vendor who supplied me with alligator, but I'm not sure I could bring myself to eat that. I've petted and fed kangaroos -- I love them! Same with emus; one of my favorite memories from my second trip involves a very curious emu that surprised my friend. Really don't think I could consume one. Maybe as a sausage on the grill or something, but I'll have to think more about that...

Other Australian cuisine is heavily influenced by the British and Irish, due to it's hotly debated status as a member of the Commonwealth.  Some of my favorite "takeaway" food was sausage rolls, meat pies and fish and chips. I think I'm definitely going to tackle one of those... Of course, there's lamb, my favorite roast -- and I think we have one in the freezer. Oh, and my Mom has perfected a famous dessert called a pavlova, a meringue named after Anna Pavlova, a Russian ballerina who danced there and inspired its creation because she seemed as light as air. Maybe I'll share that recipe with you, too.

Anyhoo, lots to consider! So, definitely check back frequently this week. It's bound to be delicious!

Ta! (Thanks!)

No comments:

Post a Comment