Friday, March 23, 2012

Moghul Duck

Wow, this dish was definitely worth the wait!

I love duck but I've never cooked it, so I've been eager to find a recipe for this blog that uses it. When I read this one, it sounded perfect. Not only because I already had most of the ingredients in my fridge and pantry, but because of the flavors I love so much. Coconut, ginger, garlic, cumin - these are a few of my all-time favorites, and they meld beautifully in this recipe, which is named for the Moghul empire that ruled India for more than 300 years.

Once again, my trusty specialty meat market, Roma Imports in Latham, had several boneless duck breasts in stock. They were about a pound each, so I only needed to purchase one for this dish. If you're concerned that's not a lot of meat, it's plenty and you can easily serve 2-4 people, especially if you're serving it with bread or rice. Be sure to completely remove the fat cap and as much silver skin as you can to help keep the duck tender.

For tomorrow, I'm planning an Indian feast complete with dessert! Some of those recipes, and tonight's, are from my cookbook. For tomorrow's main dish, though, I've found a fish recipe on the Food Network's website.

But, I'm getting ahead of myself. This delectable duck deserves its due! So, here's how I made it:

Nut Masala:
2 Tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp ground cardamom
1 Tbsp poppy seeds
1 tsp black peppercorns
2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
¾ cup cashew nuts
¼ cup boiling water

Heat the oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the four spices and sauté till golden, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and sauté for a couple minutes more. Put the spice mixture in a food processor with the nuts and water. Carefully blend into a smooth paste (if you're concerned the hot mixture will splash, then allow it to cool slightly). Set aside while you prepare the rest of the dish.

Duck:
1 lb. boneless duck breast, cut into thin strips
4 Tbsp oil, divided
1 onion, minced
Prepared Nut Masala
1 tsp ground turmeric
⅔ cup plain low-fat yogurt
¼ fat-free half-and-half
⅔ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
½ cup golden raisins
⅓ cup cashew nuts
1 green jalapeño, seeded and minced
Fresh cilantro or parsley, minced (optional)

Heat 3 Tbsp of oil over high heat and sauté the duck till browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside. Turn down the heat to medium-high and sauté the onion in the same pan till golden and soft, about 5 minutes. Mix in the prepared Nut Masala and turmeric and sauté another couple minutes.

Next, add in the yogurt, half-and-half, coconut and raisins and mix well. Cover the pan, turn the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes till the duck is cooked and tender. Just before you're ready to serve it, heat the remaining 1 Tbsp oil in a small pan and sauté the cashews till golden, just 2-3 minutes. Add the jalapeño and sauté for a couple minutes more. Spoon some of this mixture on top of each serving and sprinkle with the herbs.

Cook's Note: There are many Indian breads and rice dishes that would pair wonderfully with this dish. I actually had some of the Mauritian bread I made in the freezer that needed eating, so I used that (as promised, it kept beautifully and thawed perfectly). But, feel free to experiment on your own. The recipes are easy to find, and none look too difficult. Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment