Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Spicy Black Bean Burgers

It's National Eat Beans Day, folks! For me, that meant one thing on a gorgeous summer day: homemade black bean burgers.

There are several recipes out there, so I reviewed a bunch and then came up with my own. Yes, that's right, this recipe is a Ticket to Bite original. I gave them some smoke and spice and they turned out awesome, if I say so myself! It's quite hot, so I cooked them indoors on a grill pan, which worked perfectly - got those nice grill marks and everything! We loaded on our favorite toppings and condiments, toasted some buns and chowed down. (If you're curious, my wife had roasted red pepper, provolone, ketchup and yellow mustard on hers, while I opted for spicy pickle relish, grilled onions, provolone and honey mustard on mine.)

Trust me, these burgers couldn't be simpler and they are delish! Hearty, low fat, packed with protein, this is a quick, meatless weeknight dinner you won't want to skip.

Here's how I made them:

1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 shallot, minced
1 egg
3/4 cup bread crumbs
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground chipotle
1/4 tsp coriander seed
1 tsp smoked salt
1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper

Mash the beans in a bowl to the desired consistency. Add the remaining ingredients and form into 4 patties about 3/4" thick. Saute in a grill pan with a little oil (or throw them on the grill) till heated through.

2 comments:

  1. Just made your black bean burgers with what I had in the spice cabinet, just as tasty as yours ! Mine was curry powder , chili powder, garlic garlic, minced dried onions and seasoned salt.

    ReplyDelete