Wednesday, July 4, 2012

BBQ Spareribs

Happy Independence Day, everybody!

Be safe as you celebrate America's 236th birthday and, as George Washington said, "Observe good faith and justice toward all nations. Cultivate peace and harmony with all."

It's also National Barbecued Spareribs Day, so I fired up the grill and cooked some, low and slow. I'm not sure I achieved all the milestones described throughout that site - like the "highly prized smoke ring" - but they were finger-licking good!

I removed the membrane from the back side of the ribs. You don't have to, since it won't interfere too much with eating them, but it's easy enough to do and worth the few seconds it takes. Then, I coated the ribs with some chipotle oil and a liberal shake of BBQ spice rub.

Since I have a gas grill, I put a foil pouch with damp (not soaked) hickory chips on the bottom below the flames, set a disposable foil lasagna pan filled about two-thirds full with water on top of the grates, and perched the ribs on a cooling rack above the water. Then, I carefully monitored the heat for the first half hour to make sure it stayed around 225F.

Over the next three hours, I only eyed the thermometer to make sure the temp was steady, not once opening that grill. At that point, I turned up the heat and slathered on some of my favorite sauce to get the ribs good and sticky. In the end, I was rewarded with tender, juicy, perfectly cooked ribs.

Unfortunately, that's all the cooking I can do this week. We've got a bunch of leftovers to get through, and we're heading out for a family wedding celebration over the weekend, so I don't want to cook food we won't be able to eat.

If you feel like taking over from here, Thursday is National Apple Turnover Day, Friday is National Fried Chicken Day and Saturday is National Strawberry Sundae Day.

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Do you prefer pork or beef ribs? These sound and look great. Good photo and fun dinnerware!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These definitely were yummy, but I do prefer beef I think. Less fatty, wouldn't you say?

      Delete