Thursday, July 12, 2012

Kuy Tew Cha

Just look at those noodles!

If you went to college in the '80s or '90s like me, you're probably flashing back to hot-pot ramen dinners in your dorm room.

Am I right?!

I know this recipe is somewhat similar to my stir-fry earlier in the week, but when I read in my Extending the Table cookbook that I'd get to use Chinese noodles, I couldn't resist it. But, at least it doesn't contain chicken!

This recipe is so simple and easy to make. Even the name is straight-forward and translates to Noodles with Broccoli and Meat. The noodles take all of 3 minutes to cook, the broccoli about 5 minutes to steam, and the pork and shrimp about the same to saute and simmer. Then, you just throw it all together! Easy peasy, folks!

It's not quite a one-pot (or hot-pot) meal, but it's definitely worth a little extra washing up. Here's how I made it:

1 pkg (8 oz) Chinese noodles
1 head fresh broccoli, cut apart
3 boneless pork chops, cut into 1" pieces
12 raw shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp brown sugar
Oil

Cook the noodles as directed, drizzle with a little oil to prevent sticking, and set aside.

Steam the broccoli until al dente and also set aside.

Heat a little oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add the pork and brown on all sides. Add the garlic, shrimp, soy sauce and sugar and stir to combine. Toss in the broccoli and continue to saute for about 5 minutes till the protein is cooked. Mix this with the noodles, and dig in!

No comments:

Post a Comment