Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Saik Chrouk Ch'ranouitk

Technically, this says I made Khmer Coconut Pork Skewers, but I actually made them with chicken. (I said I had a lot in the freezer!)

The marinade for the meat has some of my absolute favorite flavor obsessions: coconut, garlic, lime... YUM!!! So, how could I resist?! The fire even adds a slightly toasted flavor to the coconut.

So. Good.

Interestingly, the recipe says to baste frequently with the leftover marinade while grilling, but it wasn't liquidy. The way I prepared it below, the marinade was a sort of grainy paste. I wonder whether another liquid ingredient was missing. Some coconut milk would be a logical addition but it's definitely not necessary. It's delicious just the way it is!

If you're looking for an alternative to your usual summer barbecue, look no further. Make extra, because I bet the leftovers would make a great snack served chilled.

Here's how I made it:

2 Tbsp lemongrass (you can find it prepared in the herb section)
1 onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, chopped
Zest of 1 lime
1 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 to 1/3 cup water (depends upon desired consistency)
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup unsweetened dessicated coconut
3 chicken breasts, cut into large cubes

In a blender or food processor, blend the lemongrass, onion, garlic, lime zest, turmeric and water into a paste. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and stir in the sugar, salt and coconut. Add the chicken and toss to coat the pieces. Cover with cling wrap and marinate for an hour at room temperature. (Keep the bowl out of direct sunlight and away from heat sources.)

When you're ready to cook, thread the meat onto skewers and grill for 15-20 minutes. Turn the skewers frequently to cook the meat evenly.

No comments:

Post a Comment